Archive for 2010
A new chat support feature is available to customers that subscribe to the Gold plan. If you weren’t familiar with the different maintenance and support plans Sage Timberline offers, there are 3, Bronze, Silver and Gold. Gold already gives subscribers unlimited phone support, but there are some people that prefer to use a chat session rather than picking up the phone to get answers to their questions. Chat seems like a faster more anonymous method for communicating with a support person than waiting in a phone que. The support feature is located in the support tab of your customer portal.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Press Contact: Myrna Membrila Myrna@LedgerwoodAssociatesUSA.com
Ledgerwood Associates Inc. Named a Sage Million Dollar Club Achiever for 2010
Ledgerwood Associates Inc. Achieves Million Dollar Club Status
Scottsdale, AZ– Nov. 9, 2010 – Ledgerwood Associates, Inc., a Sage North America business partner specializing in the sales, installation, and support of Sage Timberline Office, Sage Master Builder and Sage Timberline Enterprise has been named a Sage North America Million Dollar Club achiever for eclipsing a million dollars in revenues during the 2010 business year. Sage recognizes Ledgerwood Associates, Inc. and all Million Dollar Club achievers for the substantial contributions made to the overall success of Sage, its business partners and the mutual customers they serve. Even more impressive is the fact that Ledgerwood Associates, Inc. achieved this coveted status in it’s first year as a Sage Timberline Business Partner.
Million Dollar Club recognition is earned by Sage Business Solutions (SBS) business partners representing a host of segment-leading brands, including Sage Timberline Office, Sage Master Builder, Sage Timberline Enterprise. Ledgerwood Associates, Inc. is one of 48 Million Dollar Club achievers and a top-selling Sage Business Partner in North America.
“It is through the combined efforts of many individuals and many business partners that Sage is able to provide our customers with top quality products and services,” said Paul Johnson, EVP Sales, Sage Business Solutions. “We extend our sincere congratulations to Ledgerwood Associates, Inc. in recognition as a Sage Million Dollar Club achiever for 2010.”
Tom Miller, VP, Channel Management, adds: “The results achieved by these outstanding Business Partners shows true dedication to successfully serving the needs of our mutual business clients. Our thanks and congratulations go to Ledgerwood Associates, Inc. and each of these organizations.”
The management tean at Ledgerwood Associates, Inc. has a combined 100 years of experience with Sage Construction Software. But our solutions reach far beyond software alone. We also provide solid implementations, seasoned consultants and unparalleled training. Our Clients-Come-First philosophy has earned us the steadfast loyalty and confidence of the hundreds of companies we help on a daily basis. Put our Experience, Integrity and Stability to work for you!
Want to know more about Ledgerwood Associates, Inc. and what they can do for you? Feel free to email Ed Ledgerwood, Daren Baldwin or Kimberliy Gale with any questions you might have. They look forward to hearing from you!
# # #
We just recieved our 2010 Timberline Year-end Closing Procedures Guide in the mail. Everyone on a current support and maintenance plan should recieve theirs in the mail very soon. This book is a “must have,” in your accounting book library. Yes, I have an accounting book libray. Just kiding. Seriously, this guide is concise and helpful for accounting managers that have to close the year using Timberline Software. If you have the patience to read through the sections that are relevant to your company, you won’t have a need to additional help from consultants or training classes.
If you are using Sage Timberline Office versions 9.4.1 or 9.5.0 you will need to upgrade to 9.7 in order to install the year-end update. If you are using 9.6.0 you will be able to install the year-end update. We do however, recommend you upgrade so that you can take advantage of the latest performance and productivity enhancements. I am including a checklist you can use to determine what you need to do in order to have a smooth installation.
We are always glad to help you with your upgrade. We have expert consultants who specialize in ensuring you have the smoothest upgrade possible. Contact Kimberly Gale at Kim@LedgerwoodAssociatesUSA.com
9.7.0 Installation Checklist for Sage Timberline Office
Accounting & Management Products 9.7,
Estimating Products 9.7, and Document Management 9.71. Read Release Notes and Installation Guide for important information regarding this upgrade, including new requirements and detailed installation instructions. You can find these on your DVD in the Documents folder.
2. Create a complete backup of all Sage Timberline Office data and program files.
3. Verify that your server and workstations have a DVD drive. The 9.7 Accounting and Management Products and 9.7 Estimating Products are delivered on DVD.
4. Make sure that you install the appropriate operating system service pack level, that there is sufficient hard disk space available, and that your server and workstations meet all other hardware and software requirements before you install Sage Timberline Office products. For example, Accounting and Management Products require up to 1.1 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space. See “System Requirements” inInstallation Guide for more information.
5. Make sure that you have full control of the necessary folders, files, and registry keys on your file server, terminal server, and workstations that will have Sage Timberline Office installed. For a list of the required folders, files, and registry keys for your operating system, see “Access Rights” in theInstallation Guide.
6. Quit all programs and services for the duration of the installation. This includes programs that may be running in the background, such as antivirus, e-mail, and backup programs.
7. If you are running Windows Vista or Windows 7, elevate your permissions. See “Before You Install” in theInstallation Guide for more information.
8. To ensure security settings are applied to all instances of the same report or inquiry within an application, rename each instance so it has a unique report or inquiry name. See “Before You Install” in theInstallation Guide for more information.
9. If you use Estimating, uninstall Estimating Products 9.6.x or earlier.
10. If you are upgrading from 9.4.x, have already been using security in Sage Timberline Office, and use Document Management, delete inactive Document Management users before upgrading to 9.7. See “Use Document Management” inDocument Management Get Started for more information.
11. If you use Accounting, install Accounting and Management Products 9.7 on the server. Be aware that the installation process may restart your server several times.
12. If you installed Accounting, restart the server, log in as the same user that installed the software, open the software, and wait until the configuration process is
13. If you installed Accounting, show hidden files and folders. On Windows XP Professional or Windows Server 2003, open Windows Explorer, select Tools > Folder Options, and select View hidden files and folders on the View tab. On Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008, open Windows Explorer and select Organize > Folder and Search Options, and then select Show hidden files and folders on the View tab.
14. The 9.7 installation now automatically creates a shared Timberline Office folder on the server if one does not already exist. Read and write permission are automatically granted to the Everyone group. If the Timberline Office folder is already present and shared, the installation will skip this step. The system will not change any permissions you have already set up. See “Install to a Server or Stand-Alone Computer” in the Installation Guide for the location of this folder on your operating system. The 9.7 installation now automatically creates a shared Timberline Office folder on the server if one does not already exist. Read and write permission are automatically granted to the Everyone group. If the Timberline Office folder is already present and shared, the installation will skip this step. The system will not change any permissions you have already set up. See “Install to a Server or Stand-Alone Computer” in the Installation Guide for the location of this folder on your operating system.
15. If you use Purchasing, Inventory, or Service Management and your company data folder is inside the Programs Files folder, move your data to a different location. See “After You Install” in the Installation Guide for more information.
16. If you installed Accounting on the server, map a drive on the workstations to the shared folder Timberline Office that was created in step 14.
17. If you use Accounting, install Accounting and Management Products 9.7 on the workstations. Be aware that the installation process may restart your workstations several times. If you are upgrading from 9.4x, the location of the Wininst folder has changed. See the Installation Guide for the location of this folder.
18. If you use Estimating, install Estimating Products 9.7 on the server and/or the workstations as desired. Be aware that the installation process may restart your server and workstations several times.
19. Restart the workstations, log in as the same user that installed the software, open the software, and wait until the configuration process completes.
20. If you use Document Management, log on as a Privileged Operator and turn on security (Sage Desktop > Tools > Security Administration). If you do not use Document Management, decide whether to turn on security. After turning on security, modify the Security Settings to meet your company’s requirements. Be aware that it may take you several hours to apply the security settings, depending on the amount of data and number of users. See Document Management Get Started and Security Guide for more information.
21. If you use Document Management, install Document Management 9.7 on the server and then on the workstations. Be aware that the installation process may restart your server and workstations several times.
22. Restart all programs and services that you shut down for the installation.
23. Open and upgrade your company data folders.
24. If you are upgrading from 9.4.x and have shortcuts to the Sage Desktop or company data folders on your Windows Desktop, update the shortcuts by right-clicking the shortcut and selecting Properties > Shortcut. Change the Sage Desktop Target field from 1.0 to 2.0 and the company data folder Start in field to the UNC path.
Having trouble? We can help! We have expert consultants who specialize in ensuring you have the smoothest upgrade possible. Contact Kimberly Gale at Kim@LedgerwoodAssociatesUSA.com
Summers’ end will see some nice improvements for Sage Timberline Office. New features will allow greater flexibility and improved integration features. Some enhancements to look forward to include:
1. You will be able to send Attachments (Change Orders, RFI’s, Submittals, and more) directly to the DocuVault in Document Management.
2. Use Rules-based Routing in Document Management to simplify and automate the selection of routing lists, using criteria such as document type.
3. You will be able to import an estimate change into Job Cost.
4. A number of window sizes will be optimized for easier data entry, viewing and usability.
5. It will be easier to look up or edit an existing Change Order or Change Request.
6. You will be able to automate the estimate creation or update process by linking OnScreen Takeoff conditions with Estimating Items and Assemblies.
As the release date gets closer – I will sure to update you and let you know how soon you can expect to enjoy these new and exciting enhancements.
Many Sage Timberline users received the following error today
“The instruction at #### reference memory ####. The memory could not be read.”
The culprit is a Microsoft Automatic Update. Here’s how you can fix it…
Special Considerations or Warnings
Defect ID: 530799
Solution or Workaround
Turn off automatic updates and remove the updates with add/remove programs.
To turn off automatic updates:
- From the Start menu, select Run, type sysdm.cpl and the press Enter.
- On the Automatic Updates tab, select the option Turn off Automatic Updates.
- Click OK.
To uninstall updates
- From the Start menu, select Control Panel.
- Select Add or Remove Programs.
- Select the box to Show Updates.
- Sort updates by date.
- Remove the following updates, if installed:
- This will require a reboot.
Hope this helps!
We’ve got great news for Estimating Standard and Extended customers! The Sage Construction and Real Estate group has entered into an agreement with Tech Unlimited, Inc., to distribute PlanSwift and PlanSwift for Sage 2D construction takeoff solutions. Tech Unlimited, Inc. is a leading provider of electronic plan takeoff for construction industry professionals.
PlanSwift allows builders to calculate and takeoff dimensions electronically using digital plans. PlanSwift for Sage, offered only through Sage, integrates exclusively with Sage’s Estimating Standard and Extended products to provide you with enhanced productivity and cost-savings.
Learn more about PlanSwift by clicking here.
Sage Timberline Office Estimating and PlanSwift, Help Builders Swiftly Streamline Processes
Integrated solution helps builders improve efficiency, enhance collaboration and control construction costsAtlanta, Ga., June 8, 2010 – Sage North America announced today its Construction and Real Estate group has entered into an agreement with Tech Unlimited, Inc., to distribute PlanSwift and PlanSwift for Sage 2D construction takeoff solutions. PlanSwift allows builders to calculate and takeoff dimensions electronically using digital plans. PlanSwift for Sage, offered only through Sage, integrates exclusively with Sage’s Estimating Standard and Extended products giving Sage customers enhanced productivity and cost-savings. Tech Unlimited, Inc. is a leading provider of electronic plan takeoff for construction industry professionals. Sage Construction and Real Estate product lines have been recognized as the most widely used applications for construction estimating, job costing, accounting, payroll, and project management, according to the Construction Financial Management Association’s (CFMA) 2010 Information Technology Survey for the Construction Industry.
“As the construction industry fights to regain its lost footing from the economic downturn, builders need every opportunity to drive efficiency into the business. The combination of PlanSwift and Sage’s Estimating Standard and Extended products creates a powerful offering that provides builders with an easy to use, cost effective and streamlined process from plans to estimate”, said Jim Walter, vice president of development, Sage Construction and Real Estate. “Today’s announcement further communicates our commitment to the construction industry by offering a wide range of estimating tools designed to help increase accuracy and productivity.”
PlanSwift and PlanSwift for Sage help construction industry professionals:
- Save time and increase productivity using electronic plans and digital takeoff tools
- Reduce costs by eliminating the cost of duplicating and shipping paper plans
- Improve collaboration using comparative overlays and the ability to share and email plans and supporting job details
“Our customers continue to look for ways to leverage technology to cost-effectively and efficiently address industry challenges,” said Jon Newsom of Contractor Business Solutions NW, a Sage CRE Business Partner. “The integration of PlanSwift and Sage’s suite of construction-specific solutions allows us to present a unique offering to our customers that will empower them to bid projects faster, more accurately and take their estimating processes to the next level.”
By offering PlanSwift and PlanSwift for Sage, Sage Construction and Real Estate continues its commitment to provide construction industry professionals cost-effective solutions that support mission-critical operations such as estimating. These powerful tools help estimators bid and win more work without adding overhead.
“At PlanSwift, our number one objective is to streamline the estimating process and we feel that our ultra tight integration with Sage Timberline Office Estimating provides contractors with the complete solution,” said James Purpura, PlanSwift’s President/COO.
Spring 2010 Enhancements: Simplify your day…every day
You should have already received your update. If you haven’t or need help installing the updates please feel free to contact us. Myrna@LedgerwoodAssociatesUSA.com. We’d love to help.
Here’s a look at what those enhancements are…
We all know, the more efficiently your business management system allows your team to locate and act upon key information, the faster and easier they can do their jobs. That’s why we’ve enhanced Sage Timberline Office to provide everyone on your team with a wide range of automation, workflow and process improvements to make it easier to get more done in less time, including:
1. Simplified reporting and data analysis with new tools that are familiar and easy to use.
2. A higher degree of work process automation so your team has the freedom to focus on other tasks
3. Easier ways to share documents and manage internal approval processes making your entire team (and business) more efficient.
Why waste hours of your personal time upgrading workstations?
Laying the groundwork for future updates, the new Sage Installation Manager will make the task of installing and updating accounting workstations much more efficient. Getting your team up and running on the latest software advances for Sage Timberline Office will be quicker and easier than ever. That’s because the process is easily administered from a central location saving you unnecessary legwork and the need to manually install on individual workstations. The result is a dramatic reduction in the time you spend performing workstation installs and updates.
Document Management Rules-based Routing
Now you can ensure documents are reviewed by the right people in the right sequence every time with Document Management Rules-based Routing.
1. Should all reviewers receive a document simultaneously or should documents be sent to reviewers sequentially?
2. Would you like to designate an alternate recipient if the original reviewer is unavailable?
3. Who should be notified when a process is completed?
These are just a few of the processes that Rules-based Routing can automate for you. And, the flexibility doesn’t end there! A number of other conditions are possible including:
1. Which recipients can approve, reject, or forward documents.
2. The types of documents recipients can approve (e.g. invoices, purchase orders, . . .).
3. The dollar amounts (min and max) each recipient is allowed to approve.
4. How many days are allowed for document routing.
5. Due dates and alerts for documents.
Document Management Rules-Based Routing
Now you can ensure documents are reviewed by the right people in the right sequence every time with Document Management Rules-based Routing. Rules-based Routing also lets you automate the routing and approval processes that best suit your particular business needs. This means increased productivity and accountability. Avoid unnecessary delays, mistakes, and get paperwork approved faster. The best part is it’s all electronic.
Keeping current with the latest technology, Sage Timberline Office now supports Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, and includes an upgraded Pervasive 10 database. Our goal is to ensure your investment stays current and competitive as well as support the requirements most used by our customers.
More Comprehensive Tax Filing Capabilities & Improved Payroll Management
Now with over 250 additional US State and Federal government forms included, you’ll be able to complete tax filings, new hire reports, and more. Electronic forms are pre-filled using data from your Sage Timberline Office software. You can then review, edit, or fill-in more completely if desired. And, to automate the process even further, we’ve partnered with Aatrix Software* offering you a number of additional services, including the option to eFile your forms. Of course, you’ll still have the option to print and mail the forms as you always have if you prefer. All new forms are printable as part of your regular service plan. However, should you choose to take advantage of the eFiling capabilities, those services are offered for a modest fee through our partnership with Aatrix.
BIM–Estimating Quantity Takeoff Integration
With this release, estimators can now take full advantage of both 2D and 3D Building Information Models (BIM) when creating estimates. Thanks to our partnership and development work with Autodesk, estimators can enjoy powerful integration between Estimating and Autodesk’s Quantity Takeoff 2010 product. Using Autodesk’s Revit platform for BIM, object quantities and dimensions for items such as doors, windows, and walls can be stored within the Model and then extracted using AutoDesk’s Quantity Takeoff. Then, simply drag and drop items to map the Model objects and their dimensions to the estimating database for a one-time integration setup.
Advanced Assembly Databases
Databases are some of the most complete Estimating databases we’ve ever offered. Are you not yet taking advantage of Sage Timberline Office estimating? Or, are you interested in bidding different types of work outside of the normal types of projects you do? If so, these databases will significantly reduce the amount of time you spend getting your estimating system up and running or bidding new types of projects. The latest versions include a significant increase in the number of items with the ability to price labor in three different ways: turn-key, man-hour, or labor-only unit price. Plus, assembly items are now organized by trade with over 60 trade specific labor costs supported.
Excel-based Reporting—Office Connector Starter for Sage
Do you wish you had an easier way to analyze and report on data in a familiar format? Now you can leverage the benefits of Microsoft Excel to work with your Sage Timberline Office data using Office Connector Starter for Sage, included as part of your maintenance and service update.** Developed by Event 1 Software, Office Connector Starter for Sage is a reporting and analysis tool that allows you to use workbook templates created in Excel to key data housed within Sage Timberline Office. It provides you with a fast and easy way to look at your Sage Timberline Office data in a whole new light. Extract and perform analysis on a wide range of data through six workbook templates, including:
1. Sage Timberline Office Dashboard
View high-level summary totals from different Sage Timberline Office applications on one worksheet. This includes a financial summary, summary of jobs in-progress, summary of Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Property Management, and Billing. The Dashboard also allows you to identify a number of un-posted entries by application.
2. Sage Timberline Office Search
This helpful report lets you quickly find items in Sage Timberline Office based on arbitrary pieces of information you may have, such as a fragment of the description, number, date range, or amount. A separate worksheet also shows you the results returned from each application. Sage Timberline Office Spring 2010 Enhancements
3. Account Ledger with Detail
This report provides you with an excellent auditing tool. Identify a specific account, a set of accounts (using an account mask), or report all accounts. Select a desired date range and other criteria, such as whether to include entries associated with closing the fiscal year. And for each account, a summary of information that shows the beginning balance for the date range, net activity, and ending balance for the date range can also be included.
4. Cost To Complete
Simply specify which job, and this useful report lets you quickly produce a cost to complete worksheet that includes the estimate values, commitments, and actual cost to date. A data-entry column is included where you can record your expected cost to complete. And, calculated columns show you the resulting cost at completion and over/under values in real-time.
5. Job List with Maps & Weather
View a simple list of open jobs that can be quickly filtered or searched, which include two columns with hyperlinks. One takes you to Google Maps providing you with a map of the job location; the other takes you to Weather.com so you can easily see weather conditions at the job site.
6. Lease Expiration List
See every lease that’s about to expire within a timeframe that you identify. You can select all properties or a specific property, enter a cut-off date, and number of days until lease expiration. You can also quickly filter and sort the list using auto-filter and sorting features within Excel. Customers on a current service plan receiving the Office Connector Starter for Sage will also be granted “a 5-day trial access period” to the full version of Office Connector. The full version includes an additional 20 standard reports/templates and the ability to create your own custom reports and templates using the Designer Tool should you decide to upgrade.
Also, as a special bonus, the trial version of Office Connector Starter for Sage also includes a FREE Anytime Learning session offered on Sage University. This short, online presentation describes the products functionality as well as a number of useful tips and tricks.
For more information or details on purchasing the full version of Office Connector, click here.
Download this information in a printable PDF format.
For the second year in a row, Ledgerwood Associate’s Daren Baldwin spent the day in Albuquerque attending the American Subcontractors Association of New Mexico Annual Trade Show. One of our clients, Yearout Mechanical invited us to attend and how can we say no to them?
This year it was held at the Sandia Resort and Casino. Despite the current economy, New Mexico seems to be somewhat sheltered from the downturn. Daren says he spoke with plenty of attendees and said he thought the event was well-attended. He even got to play Santa Claus by giving away an iPod to one lucky visitor.
Daren loves going to New Mexico because it gives him an opportunity to see our many New Mexican clients and chat with them in a relaxed environment. If you didn’t make it out there this year, don’t worry we already plan on sending Daren out there again next year!
1. Are you facing high costs to buy a new server or upgrade your existing one?
2. Do your job sites and other remote locations experience connectivity issues due to slow internet coming from your office?
3. Are you thinking about upgrading to Sage Timberline Enterprise, but your current server doesn’t meet the specifications to run it?
4. Are you looking to save money on IT costs, and consolidate services ?
Consider hosting your Sage Timberline applications with Arogo.net, a Las Vegas-based internet service provider and application hosting company. All data, including the application itself, is stored and hosted from a centralized location. This solution removes the burden of maintenance, support, software upgrades and equipment from the end users, as well as consolidates multiple associated expenses into one low monthly price.
When making the choice between On-Premise Products and Hosted Solutions, business and I.T. decision-makers should use the following questions to determine which is best suited to meet the needs of their organization:
1. Do you have the financial resources to withstand the upfront capital costs of acquiring the hardware and software to support your business requirements?
2. Do you have the internal skills to select the right hardware and software to meet your business objectives?
3. Do you have sufficient resources to successfully deploy and keep your hardware and software up and running?
4. Do you know if you are getting the best performance and greatest value from your hardware and software investments?
5. Do you have the expertise and experience to combat today’s escalating security threats?
6. Would you rather focus your limited financial and staff resources on your core business?
Arogo.net offers two options for hosting your applications: You can use 100% of their equipment and they will ensure that your system is always upgraded to the required specifications to provide optimum service for you and your users. However, if you already own a server, but want to take advantage of the faster connectivity offered by Arogo.net, you can send them your server and they will install it in their racks and their internet lines (collocation). They can provide the hands on labor necessary to make hardware changes and upgrades, and you will be charged for labor and parts. Either option includes Exchange hosting and each Timberline user will receive a free Exchange account.
Arogo.net is financially stable and owns all of their hosting equipment… nothing is leased or purchased on payment plans. They are also 100% US-based. When you become a client of Arogo.net, you will speak to your account manager, the same person you always talk to when discussing your system. You won’t have to worry about getting passed to various call centers throughout the world until you reach the right person who can help with your system. They pride themselves on providing personalized customer service. Arogo.net staff is also very familiar with Timberline applications, so you will receive the benefit of their knowledge and experience.
Arogo.net has been in business since 2002 and has provided their clients with the utmost in reliability, security and super fast network connectivity. Arogo.net customers enjoy all of the benefits that this Las Vegas data center has to offer.
- RAID arrays on servers – give you high performance, scalability and immunity from disk failure.
- Multiple/Redundant fiber optic connections to the internet backbone ensure that plenty of bandwidth is available.
- The data center itself is temperature controlled and contains seismically secured equipment racks. It also offers a high level of security including state-of-the-art smoke detection and fire suppression systems, motion sensors and 24×7 secured access, as well a video camera surveillance and security breach alarms.
Contact Karen Mierta at KarenM@Arogo.Net for more information.